Blog Archive

Sunday, 18 January 2015

Country Ham

What is the difference between country and city ham?


Country hams are produced using traditional dry-curing methods. The cure is applied to the surface of the ham in dry form and is allowed to penetrate into the ham naturally over time. The result of the drying and aging process creates a robust, pronounced flavor and a firm texture. Some people who are salt conscious may find the saltier nature of country ham to be objectionable, but to the enthusiast, there is no substitute. Country hams may be purchased cooked or uncooked and may or may not be smoked.

City hams are produced using modern moist-curing methods. The cure is injected into the ham in a brine form. The process takes much less time compared to that of country ham. The result is a moist and tender ham that is characterized by its sweet flavor.  Although milder than country ham, the flavor of the city ham is not bland and may actually be considered bold compared to a water-added grocery store ham. City hams are cooked and smoked using natural hickory sawdust.

So today I picked up the kosher salt and brown sugar that I needed for the salt sugar cure for the ham. Along with that I found a roll of table paper. I needed that to wrap the ham up with after salting it down. Earlier this morning I removed the aitch bone. Never did that before but watched a couple of youtube videos on how its done and its a piece of cake. Made sure I had lots of room to get the salt cure down inside the shank(hock). This is a must or you will get bone sour.
This will cure inside my little bar fridge for 20 days and than get another layer of salt cure for the rest of the time. (40 total)
Hams should be cured for seven days per inch of cushion depth , or one and a half days per pound of ham. So this is what I am going for.
I have this web site which pretty much is what I am doing but I am mostly following this youtube video. One is from the Food Science and Technology, Virginia Tech and the video is a 4H video done by the UK College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment.
They added pepper and some hot pepper which is what I did also.

Reference:
Dry Curing Virginia-Style Ham

Here is the youtube video.




My ham (17.5 lbs.) and 10 lbs. of back fat 


After removing the aitch bone. And pumping out any left over blood in the Mian vain



Got my paper rolled out. Funny I worked in a paper mill for 38 years and I had to go out and buy paper.


Applying the sugar/salt cure 



Wrapping the paper around the ham


All netted up

Testing to see if it will hold.



Off to the cheese fridge down stairs. The little crisper will serve as a catch tray when it starts dripping.


After 12 Hours We Have Liquid 


Too Be Continued

Second Salting

After Unwrapping





Getting A Fresh Layer Of Salt



34 days later

So now its time to remove the ham and clean up the ham. It has lost 21% over the curing stage. 
Getting unwrapped

Still a  lot of salt on the skin sides 

This was packed an inch deep with salt and you can see most is gone now

All nice and cleaned up, love the color of the meat

Off into a bucket of cold water and into the fridge for 24 hours to help remove some salt. 


Cure Equalization
After cure removal by washing, the cured product
should be stored in a 40˚F environment for
approximately 14-21 days to permit the cure adjuncts to be
distributed evenly throughout the ham. 
So after that it will get a 24 hour cold smoke and then hanged at 50-60˚F till next Christmas. Wish me luck, so far things have been going good but that can all change real fast

Three Weeks Later

So now the equalization stage is over it is now time to cold smoke the ham. This will be a two day process.

Day one


And now day two and you can see it is taking on a nice smoky color. This will be the final smoke. Next stage is to hang them for the rest of the year. Thats the hard part.
















No comments:

Post a Comment